Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Traditions

Lee and I spent last evening at our friend's apartment across the yard. They invited us over for dinner and family home evening and we sure had a great time! For family home evening, we talked about traditions. We talked about the ones we grew up with, the ones we wanted to continue in our own families, and new ones we wanted to create. This has been a topic of conversation for Lee and I lately, as the holiday season is coming up. It's so important to me and to us to continue those traditions in our new family. Not only are they usually fun and sometimes silly, but they also helped me feel so much closer to my own family. It felt like we grew closer together because of the things that we did together. For example, my dad is a pretty big gamer...as in he likes to make his own games! So he made this Trick-or-Treat board game that has all these houses on it. Everyone would move their piece through the "neighborhood" and collect candy and do whatever was on the space that was landed on. Anyway, super fun! We would always play that every Halloween while we were answering the door for the real trick-or-treaters! One of Lee's favorite traditions is going to dinner with the whole family after the general priesthood meeting of conference. He also said that after Thanksgiving, all the Christmas decorations go up! I love that because we did that too! The weekend after Thanksgiving, we would go pick out our Christmas tree. That has always been my favorite thing to do because it ushers in the Christmas season.

I love being with family around the holidays! I love the traditions we share and the moments that bring us all closer together. I am so thankful that our families taught us the importance of being together and sharing those special traditions with each other. I, being the home body that I am, am going to miss that this year being so far from all of them, but I am so looking forward to brand new traditions too!

2 comments:

  1. I guess some of our traditions are being lost as our children go their own way and we are left alone again, but we can start new ones now, too. I love the picture of you guys! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditions are the best! It's so exciting to have the future in front of you and be able to decide which fun traditions your own family will have.

    ReplyDelete